Don't get me wrong, I love a big juicy slice of watermelon as much as the next person but, I also like to experiment with it in a variety of savory dishes too. Watermelon adds a mild sweetness without overpowering the other ingredients. This melon is especially delicious next to bright and salty flavors like feta cheese, lime or cilantro. Check out these savory watermelon recipes and see how versatile this fruit really is.
Baked watermelon takes on a whole new identity. While in the oven, the watermelon steaks lose most of its water and intensifies in flavor. When watermelon is seasoned with soy sauce, garlic and sriracha, it's the vegan's alternative to spicy tuna.
If you've never tried a cold soup before, gazpacho should be your first sip. Watermelon, tomatoes, garlic, onion and more are blended into a cool and refreshing soup.
When you grill any fruit, the natural sugar caramelizes and intensifies the fruit's flavor. The tart and spicy shrimp compliment the smoky sweet cubes of watermelon.
Watermelon adds a soft sweetness to savory dishes like this watermelon and mint salad with avocado, feta and red onion. This light summer side dish is a healthy alternative to heavier, mayonnaise based salads.
- Get Grilling: Watermelon au Poivre
- Grilled Peaches with Vegan Blueberry Ice Cream
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 5 Grilled Main Dishes to Serve at Your Labor Day Barbecue
- 4 Vegetarian Recipes with a Pop of Pesto
- Killer Kale Salads for Everyday Meals
- BBQ Treat: Spicy Maple Fruit Kabobs
- Delightfully Decadent & Healthy BBQ Blog Roundup
- Ultimate Veggie Burger for the Grill
- Easy Vegetarian Meals to Make for Meatless Monday
- One Pan Lemon Chicken
- Easy Breakfast Cookie
- Pumpkin, celery root and carrot salad
- Smoked Spinach
- Pumpkin Carrot Soup
- Grilled Chicken and Sweet With Heat Boysenberry Barbecue Sauce
- Vegan spicy sautéed mushrooms in 10 minutes.
- Spicy Grilled Watermelon and Cucumber Salad
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Watermelon Lemonade