Believe it or not, hot dogs, chili and s'mores are not the only things you can cook over a campfire. Think of a campfire like a burner. Almost anything you can make on the stove top can be made over an open fire.
Camping is a time to bring all your cast iron cookware out of the woodwork. The high temperature from the fire won't damage the cast iron and it also distributes heat uniformly to allow for even cooking. Pack plenty of foil to wrap up your food during and after cooking. These four recipes will hopefully open your gateway to campfire cooking.
We've discussed tips on how to make perfectly grilled pizza and the same rules apply when cooking a pizza over a campfire. If you are planning to prepare this dish on your camping trip, pack your own rack just in case the site does not supply one.
Just because you're camping doesn't mean your doomed to eating just beans and weenies. Beef and vegetable stew is a fireside meal with a gourmet flair. Tomatoes, zucchini, corn and more and simmered with a beef chuck roast. Spoon this stew over a slice of crusty bread to complete this outdoor meal.
Can you think of a better way to dine while camping than eating your favorite comfort food cooked fireside? Campfire mac n' cheese is made with plenty of shredded gouda, gruyere and sharp cheddar cheese. If you crave the crispy golden brown crust, pack a small blow torch to broil the topping.
While s'mores may be the traditional camping dessert, it doesn't hurt to mix things up. This strawberry skillet pie can cook on the top of the grill or campfire embers. Pack a pre-made pie crust and stick it in the cooler until it's time for dessert. This summertime treat only requires 25 minutes to bake before it's ready to serve.
- Incredible Ice Box Pies for Summer
- Reinventing the Recipe: S'mores Three Different Ways
- Grilled Stawberry Hand Pies
- Farmhouse Chicken Pot Pie from Me, Myself and Pie
- A Gluten-Free Menu to Enjoy on the 4th of July
- Get Grilling: Watermelon au Poivre
- Must-Read Blog Posts: Restaurant Favorites
- Must-Make Recipes for Your Memorial Day Barbecue
- 5 Smoldering S'mores Recipes for National S'mores Day
- Quick and Easy Grilled Biscuit Cheeseburgers
- Barbecued Baby Back Pork Ribs and Bush's Grillin' Beans
- Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- Mini Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- Barbecue Pork Buns – Dim Sum
- Vintage Recipe Project: Strawberry Sponge Pie
- Coffee & Banana Pie (Pastel de Cafe y Bananos)
- Blackberry Peach Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- No-Bake Banana Split Pie
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake