There is nothing quite like a steak that is lean and flavorful. We seriously love Bison. It has a smooth, meaty flavor that holds up well with all your bolder marinades, yet tastes great with a simple sprinkle of salt and pepper. You are going to love this bison from TheHonestBison. It's grass fed, ethically and holistically managed, and simply delicious.
Grilled Bison Tri-Tip, Santa Maria Style
1 bison tri-tip (about 2 lbs)
For the “California” Rub:
2 tbsp finely ground coffee
1 1⁄2 tbsp kosher salt
1 1⁄2 tbsp granulated garlic
1 heaping tsp black pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
1⁄4 tsp cinnamon
1. Sprinkle meat with rub and massage tenderly. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour or longer. Remove from refrigerator an hour before cooking.
2. Preheat oven to 300 and prepare a hot charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to high. Place roast on grill and cook for 6-8 minutes per side or until an even char develops on all sides. Grill for no more than 20 minutes total.
3. Remove tri-tip to a baking sheet or oven safe dish. Cover with tinfoil. Place in 300 degree oven for 10-20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 120 F (rare). DO NOT OVERCOOK.
4. Rest roast on a cutting board for 8-10 minutes, during which time the internal temperature should increase to 125 (medium rare). Slice against the grain. The center should still be distinctly red. Bison is supposed to be cooked less than beef and is ideally always served medium rare.
5. Serve with grilled veggies of your choice and enjoy!
Want more from Foodista? Sign up below!