A zucchini flower is the pale yellow flower of the zucchini plant, from which the vegetable eventually grows. The flowers are often harvested and used in dishes on their own. The flowers are 3 to 4 inches long and generally tubular. This makes them easy to fill with stuffings such as riccota and herbs, or forcemeats of fish or crab. They are then often lightly battered and quickly fried. Unstuffed, they can be sauteed and served as a vegetable side dish. They can also be used as a topping for pizza.
Orange star-shaped flower of a courgette or zucchini plant.
Selecting and Buying
Preparation and Use
They require a small amount of cleaning, and you can open them easily with your fingers to stuff them with a delicate filling of cheese, herbs and some delicate vegetables.
They are usually fried in a light batter and stuffed with ricotta or mozzarella cheese. These make an excellent appetizer or garnish to a main dish.
Conserving and Storing
Flowers should be sprinkled with water, wrapped gently in paper towels and refrigerated. Use as quickly as possible.
- Fried Zucchini Flowers With Alici E Limone
- Fusilli With Zucchini Flowers, Ricotta and Saffron
- Grilled Onion Flowers
- What Are The Yellow Flowers On Broccali Rabe
- A Stalk of Abalone Flower On Mother’s Day!
- Seasonal Sunday: 5 Best Zucchini Bread Recipes
- Must-Try Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Delicious Zucchini Fritters
- Budget Friendly Eats: Zucchini and Red Pepper Frittata
- Crispy Shoestring Zucchini