Greek yogurt has a lusciously thick and creamy texture and rich taste, but those aren't the only qualities. Did you know that it has twice the protein (which helps you feel full and satiated) than standard American-style yogurts? And the health benefits go on!
It's been minimally processed, so it maintains healthy bacterias such as acidophilus and lactobacillus organisms, both of which help improve intestinal health.
Greek yogurt has more calcium than most yogurts. Due to the live active cultures in yogurt, calcium is more easily absorbed by the body. A 6-ounce serving of Greek yogurt provides nearly 20% of your daily calcium needs.
Half the Sugar
Because the whey is strained off multiple times, thus creating its thick texture, much of the natural sugar is removed. In fact, Greek yogurt has half the sugar as unsweetened American-style yogurt!
Healthy Substitute for Sour Cream!
It won't curdle at high temperatures, so Greek yogurt makes for a great substitute for sour cream in baked dishes and on top of baked potatoes!
Try some of these delicious recipes featuring Greek yogurt:
- 3 Healthy Yogurt Dessert Recipes Under 150 Calories
- Energy Boosting Blueberry Chia Yogurt Bowls
- Fresh Summer Salads
- Yogurt: Not Just For Breakfast
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Fresh and Healthy Fruit Salad with Yogurt Dressing
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Must-Try Vegan Recipe: Cauliflower Flatbread with Avocado and Hummus
- Four-Ingredient Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
- 2-Ingredient Frozen Yogurt
- Banana Cream Smoothie
- Butternut Squash Pizza
- Chelley’s Greek Yogurt Cake With Raspberry Yogurt Sauce
- Vegetarian Mushroom and Brown Rice Dolmas
- Low Fat Greek Tzatziki
- One Pan Lemon Chicken
- Greek Yogurt Chicken With Lemon and Herbs
- Parmesan Yogurt Chicken