Technique: Deboning Whole Poultry
This a method used to remove the bones from a whole bird, such as turkey, chicken, or duck close up stuff and roast as a normal bird. These are the basic steps:
1. Place the bird breast side down
2. Use a sharp paring knife and make a slice down the length of the back
3. Start to cut the meat away from the bones going down one side. Stay close to the bone and scrape as you go.
4. As you get to the thigh and wing, cut the tendons and separate them from the skeleton. Take the bone out of the thigh, but leave it inside the drumsticks and wings.
5. Continue down until you are able to remove the breast bone, being careful not to cut the skin.
6. Lay out the bird and season with salt and pepper.
7. Sew up the back of the bird with a thick thread and large gauge needle, curved upholstery needles work well.
8. Stuff and roast as you would a normal bird, but keep in mind that a more stuffing will fit inside.
This is also the technique one used to create Turducken, where a series of birds are stuffed inside of each other.