Also known as Chinese broccoli, Gai Lon is a highly nutritious, green, leafy plant with smooth, round stems and leaves with no florets. In summer Gai Lon has a bitter flavor, in winter a sweet flavor. The white flowers and smaller leaves are also eaten. Gai Lon is rich in vitamins A, C, and K - Gai Lon is only 19 calories per serving. It is also a good source of beta-carotene and contains iron, calcium, and folate.
Gai Lon is a leafy vegetable with a long, thick stalk.
Selecting and Buying
Preparation and Use
Gai Lon is commonly cooked in stir fry, steamed or boiled.
Conserving and Storing
Refrigerate in a plastic bag for only a few days.
- Uric Acid in Gai Lon
- My Favorite Broccoli Salad
- Light and Healthy Thai Broccoli Salad Bowls
- Beef and Broccoli and Other Chinese Take Out Favorites
- Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
- 5 Best Broccoli Recipes
- Quick and Easy Ginger Chicken and Broccoli Bowl
- Stir-Fried Broccoli
- Szechuan Broccoli
- Broccoli Carrot Stir Fry