Shevgya che shenga /Nuggekai/ Shango
5 drumsticks, chopped the size about 2 knuckles
½ a coconut, freshly grated
1 tsp rasam powder or sambhar powder (adjust as per taste)
A small ball of tamarind
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
3 cloves garlic (optional)
1 small ball of jaggery
1 tsp oil
1. Place the drumsticks in a wide vessel use just enough water to cover all the drumsticks mix salt. Cover and par boil.
2. Meanwhile grind the coconut, the masala powder, tamarind, turmeric, chilli powder, garlic (if used) and jaggery to a very fine paste using little water. Many times I grind the masala only after I have boiled the drumsticks and I use the water from the drumsticks only.
3. Pour over the masala over the drumstick and bring to a boil. Adjust the seasonings.
4. In a small pan heat the oil, splutter mustard, then hing/asafoetida.
5. Pour over the drumstick curry. Cook till the drumsticks are done.
6. Serve with steaming hot rice.