Another Infant Served Alcohol and Hospitalized

April 19, 2011

A really disturbing trend is beginning to take shape. Tyree Davis and her 4-year-old daughter Brooklynn went to dinner at Chili's in Chicago on Sunday night. Brooklynn ordered a chocolate shake, but actually received a "Mudslide"— an alcoholic drink made from vodka, Kahlua, and Bailey's Irish Cream.

The little girl took four sips from the drink before alerting her mother that it tasted strange. After Davis confirmed the mistake, the waitress quickly returned and acknowledged the mistake. A new employee, the server apparently did not realize that alcoholic and regular drinks came in extremely different glassware.

A Chili's manager came to their table and offered to pick up the tab, but Davis documented both of the drinks and took her daughter to the hospital. She was treated for symptoms of an alcohol overdose, vomited but was released from the hospital. Her mother says she doesn't want any other family to endure what they did.

Chili's issued a statement saying, "the drink in question was served to an adult, in glass barware, not to a child or in a kids' cup" but David denied ordering any alcohol.

With three incidents in less than a week, what should be done to ensure child safety at restaurants? What changes should be made by restaurants and what should parents be doing?

Photo by Rob_Rob2001