1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used white spelt)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, divided
1/4 cup soft butter
2-3 tablespoons water
2 large eggs, separated from yolk from whites
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1/3 cup mayonnaise (I used low fat)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup goat cheese
1/2 tsp salt
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
5 tomatoes, sliced
Extra basil for garnish
1. Combine flour, butter, salt, 1 egg yolk, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tsp pepper in a mixer. Mix on low until dough sticks together when pressed. Add 1 more tablespoon of water if needed. Press dough into a 9-inch square or round pie or tart pan. Pierce dough all over with a fork. Brush with 1 egg yolk. Set in freezer 5 minutes. If making mini pies, spray small muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and press dough into each muffin space. Pierce bottom with fork, brush with egg and freeze 5 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour egg whites onto bottom of pie crust and back crust 15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Microwave zucchini 4 minutes or until tender. Drain extra water on paper towels.
4. In a separate bowl, combine remaining 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, goat cheese and chopped basil. Layer your pie with zucchini, tomatoes, mayonnaise mixture.
5. Bake 25 minutes for large pie and 18-20 minutes for mini pies, or until filling is hot and bubble and crust is golden.
Adding goat cheese to this tomato zucchini pie, using light mayonnaise and cutting back on the butter in the crust makes this a healthier lower fat version of your typical pie crusts. This is simple to whip up and is quite a savory meal!
Sunday, August 25, 2013 - 2:27pm