Chef Damian Cardone, claiming to be the former executive banquet chef at the now-closed New York City restaurant, Tavern on the Green, admitted on his Facebook profile on March 10, 2011, that he has on multiple occasions misled his gluten-free customers. Cardone wrote that he has often served guests requesting gluten-free pasta a dish containing fresh pasta made with high-gluten flour. His findings? That no gluten-eschewing guest has ever complained of distressing symptoms following a meal at his table. View Cardone's rant below:
Though we have not been able to verify this information, Cardone claims to have cooked for a number of Hollywood A-Listers, including Billy Crystal, Sigourney Weaver, Martin Short, Tom Hanks, and George Clooney. The Colorado chef similarly states that he has appeared on Live! with Regis and Kelly and Project Runway.
We have contacted the former owner of Tavern on the Green to confirm Cardone's employment, but have not yet heard back. We continue to investigate this story for accuracy and will update you as we uncover further details.
**Update: 1:39 PM PT- Damian Cardone has taken down his Facebook profile. Below is the original text of his admission:
"Gluten free is bullshit!! Flour and bread have been a staple of life for thousands, THOUSANDS of years. People who claim to be gluten intolerent [sic] dont [sic] realize that its [sic] all in there [sic] disturbed little heads. People ask me for gluten free pasta in my restaurant all the time, I tell em sure, Then I serve serve em our pasta, Which I make from scratch with high gluten flour. And you know what? nothing, NOTHING! ever happens! People leave talking about how good they feel gluten free and guess what, They just had a full dose! Idiots!"
***Update: 5:00 PM PT- Screen captures of Damian Cardone's Facebook profile as of 10:00 AM March 30, 2011 and the original page of his admission.
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- The Life Allergic: the Dangerous World of Dining Out and Memoirs of a Foodie
- Starbucks and Gluten Free - A Barista's Findings
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- Go Dairy Free with Alisa Marie Fleming
- Fairmont Hotels Allow Special Diet Guests To Dine Like Royalty
- 133 Gluten Free Halloween Treats!
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Not MY Plate
- The Wish List's Jennifer Esposito Diagnosed with Celiac
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Shiraz Chocolate Lava Pudding
- Red, White & Blue Smoothie
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Tia's Treats
- Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Stir Fry
- Tex-Mex Polenta Rounds with Chunky Guacamole
- Parmesan Radicchio Crisps