Burch Equipment LLC, from North Carolina, has voluntarily recalled over 180,000 Caribbean Gold cantaloupes (originally identified as Athena), because of the potential for Listeria contamination. From the FDA recall site:
The whole Caribbean Gold variety cantaloupes were shipped between July 15th and July 27th and distributed in FL, GA, IL, MD, ME, NC, NJ, NY, PA, SC and VA. The whole cantaloupes are identified by a red label reading Burch Farms referencing PLU # 4319. All cantaloupes involved in the recall were grown by Burch Farms, however some of the cantaloupes may have been identified with a "Cottle Strawberry, Inc." sticker referencing PLU #4319. Cottle Farms is not involved in this recall. Cantaloupes from Burch Farms were shipped in both corrugated boxes (9 cantaloupe per case) and in bulk bins.
**Please note the variety of cantaloupe recalled is Caribbean Gold, and not Athena as was originally reported.
- Food Recall: Cool Creations LLC - Multiple Products
- Listeria in Cantaloupe Outbreak Worst Since 1924
- Spice Recall: Turmeric Laced with Lead
- E Coli Greatest Hits: 5 Recent US Outbreaks
- Listeria Outbreak Dramatically Worsens
- HUGE Apple Slices Recall: Please Read
- Multistate Outbreak Of Salmonella Linked To Live Poultry
- Food Recall: River Ranch Salads
- Food Recall: Bay Valley Foods
- Food Recall: Menno Beachy Grape Tomatoes