Chef Joël Robuchon has the most Michelin stars in the world so it's no wonder he makes a mean mashed potato. The key to his rich and velvety pommes puree is using the right potato (a buttery variety like Yukon Gold) and drying them out after running them through a ricer. Read on for his amazing mashed potatoes recipe and the technique he uses to make this dish perfect.
Joël Robuchon’s Pommes Puree (Mashed Potatoes)
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cooking: 35 Minutes
2 pounds potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, Yellow Finn, rates, or BF 15, scrubbed and unpeeled.
2 cups whole milk
2 sticks butter, diced and kept well chilled until used
Put the potatoes in a saucepan with 2 quarts cold water and one tablespoon coarse salt. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until a knife slips in and out of the potatoes easily and cleanly, about 25 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and peel them. Put them through a potato ricer (or a food mill fitted with its finest disk) into a large saucepan. Turn the heat under the saucepan to medium and dry the potato flesh out a bit by turning it vigorously with a spatula for about 5 minutes.
In the meantime, rinse a small saucepan, pour out the excess water, but do not wipe it dry. Add the milk and bring to a boil.
Turn the heat under the potatoes to low and incorporate the well-chilled butter bit by bit, stirring it in energetically for a smooth, creamy finish. Pour in the very hot milk in a this ring until all the milk has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and taste for salt and pepper.
For even lighter, finer potatoes, put them through a very fine sieve before serving.
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes and Other Unforgettable Potato Recipes
- Cooking with Sweet Potatoes: 5 Savory Recipes to Prepare this Fall
- Chorizo and Egg Hasselback Potatoes and Other Hasselback Potato Recipes
- 3 Must Try Garlic Mashed Potato Recipes
- Easy Thanksgiving Recipe: Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes and More Holiday Recipes with the Sweet Spud
- A Twist on Classic Potato Salad
- Vegetarian Recipe: Sweet Potato Burger with Chipotle and Roasted Garlic
- Crispy Cheddar Bacon Potato Skins
- Baked Stuffed Potatoes (Tandoori Potatoes)
- Potatoes (Paprikas Potatoes) Hungarian By Laszlo
- Gamja Jorim (Korean Glazed Potatoes)
- Sweet, Sweet, Sweet Potato Quiche With Bacon and Mushrooms
- Mexican Stuffed Potatoes
- Steak and Potato Stacks
- Cheesy Egg and Potato Pie
- Potatoes and Asparagus With Light Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- Savory Rosemary Turkey Cutlets With Fingerling Potatoes and Zucchini
- Herby Fried Potatoes