* Assumed 1 c AP flour = 4.5 oz
* Used Drost Dutch process cocoa
* If trying the Mexican variation, consider a different chile than cayenne. The cayenne added heat, but also a sour aftertaste. Something complementary (like ancho) might evoke something fascinating like chocolate mole.
* The log gets very soft when you take too long to slice it, so you may have to re-form the log midway through.
* These cookies puff up in the oven, but they settle and crack. After they cool they're chewy.
This recipe comes from Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies.