There's nothing quite like the scent of fresh roses, jasmine, lavender or gardenias to conjure memories of sun-kissed skin, warm nights and the carefree feeling of summer. So why not capture those scents, bottle them and... drink them? Seriously!
Infusing liquor at home is all the rage right now - and for good reason! Because it is a neutral spirit, vodka lends itself most easily to flavor infusions - even strange ones, but it's not the only game in town - gin is also a viable option. While herbal and vegetable/fruit infusions are quite flavorful, most flower infusions are more about fragrance than flavor. You may be thinking "Well then, what's the point?" We experience food (and drinks!) with all of our senses: first we see, then smell, then taste and feel - only um, enhanced by the sounds of utensils clinking against plates and glasses. The point being, the scent of a dish is just as important as it looks and tastes -- and the same goes for drinks, ask Chef Grant Achatz, known for serving dishes with accompanying aromatics (like grass and leather) to enhance the flavor.
Design*Sponge has an excellent DIY how-to guide for infusing liquor at home.
Spiked Lavender Lemonade Refreshing on a hot summer's day, this is not a recipe for the lemonade stand!
Lavender French 75 Formerly served at Midi in San Francisco, substitute lavender infused vodka for an elegant upgrade.
The Provencale Featuring Lavender Infused Gin, who said vodka was the only option>
Anne Marie Tea Blossom" Okay, it's almost as girly as it sounds with chamomile infused gin and St. Germain Elderflower liqueur.
- The Best Craft Cocktails, a book review...
- Shake it Up: Jell-O Shots Get A Makeover
- Thirsty Thursday: Cherry Cocktails
- Rediscovering Gin
- Have I found the best Gin in America? Quite Possibly!
- Four Summer Cocktails
- 3 Must Try Vampire Cocktails
- DIY Bacon Infused Vodka
- Homemade Gin Kit: What a great idea!
- Thirsty Thursdays: Chili Infused Vodka
- A sensational summer sip from Prince Edward Island, The "Eddy"
- Infused Vodka
- Negroni, a cocktail worthy of royaty
- Cinnamon Hot Toddy, infused with sunshine
- Lemon Lavender Martini
- Cranberry Crush
- Cranberry Citrus Cocktail
- This is how I keep the cold away; gingery grapefruit gimlet
- WITCHES BREW
- Brain Teaser