The turkey is the star at the Thanksgiving dinner table so getting the bird right is essential. Follow these six tips and tricks and you'll have a better bird this Thanksgiving. Do you have any turkey cooking tips? Share them with us in the comment section.
1. Brine Your Turkey: By process of osmosis, the brine will flavor the bird as well as keep it moist. Learn how by watching this video.
2. Flavor The Bird: Make sure to adequately salt and pepper the turkey and fill the cavity with aromatic vegetables, herbs, and lemons.
3. Keep the Turkey Dry: Don't forget to pat down the turkey before putting it in the oven. The excess moisture will prevent the skin from getting crisp. (This does not include fat).
4. Use a Thermometer: A thermometer is the best way to check for doneness. It should register 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the bird.
5. Start the Oven High and then Lower the Temperature: Start the turkey at 425 degrees F to help crisp the skin for 20 minutes and then lower to 350 degrees F until cooked through.
6. Let the Turkey Rest: I know you'll be hungry but letting the turkey rest let's the juices redistribute so that it will be moist and flavorful.
*These same tips go for roasting a chicken
Want more from Foodista? Sign up below!