The turkey is the star at the Thanksgiving dinner table so getting the bird right is essential. Follow these six tips and tricks and you'll have a better bird this Thanksgiving. Do you have any turkey cooking tips? Share them with us in the comment section.
1. Brine Your Turkey: By process of osmosis, the brine will flavor the bird as well as keep it moist. Learn how by watching this video.
2. Flavor The Bird: Make sure to adequately salt and pepper the turkey and fill the cavity with aromatic vegetables, herbs, and lemons.
3. Keep the Turkey Dry: Don't forget to pat down the turkey before putting it in the oven. The excess moisture will prevent the skin from getting crisp. (This does not include fat).
4. Use a Thermometer: A thermometer is the best way to check for doneness. It should register 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the bird.
5. Start the Oven High and then Lower the Temperature: Start the turkey at 425 degrees F to help crisp the skin for 20 minutes and then lower to 350 degrees F until cooked through.
6. Let the Turkey Rest: I know you'll be hungry but letting the turkey rest let's the juices redistribute so that it will be moist and flavorful.
*These same tips go for roasting a chicken
- How To Brine A Turkey to Perfection
- Six Not So Secret Cocktail Ingredients For a KNOCK OUT Thanksgiving Cocktail
- Bourbon Brined Turkey Breast with Bourbon Turkey Gravy
- Holiday Basics: Brined and Roasted Turkey
- How To Brine A Turkey
- Alton Brown Shares How To Brine A Turkey
- Technique: How To Brine and Roast A Turkey
- 10 Best Ever Turkey Brine Recipes
- Kitchen Secrets: How to Pan Sear Salmon to Perfection
- Can A Candy Thermometer Be Used To Measure The Temperature Of Hot Oil?
- Champagne Juniper Brined Holiday Turkey
- Brined and Roasted Turkey With Giblet Pan Sauce
- Brined and Roasted Turkey
- Molasses-Brined Turkey With Gingersnap Gravy
- My Stuffed Crust Pizza & tips for a perfect dough
- Just in time for grill season, terrific tips for the perfect steak
- Mama Bogue's Oven Roasted Sage Turkey
- Oven Roasted Turkey
- Perfect Roast Turkey
- Bone-Clean Perfect Turkey