Model Alek Wek has a poignant piece on hunter and famine in The Daily Beast. The Sudanese-born model discussed the hunger she frequently faced in childhood and juxtaposed that experience of real hunger with the self-imposed starvation she saw as a model in New York.
She also revealed a fascinating tidbit about her life: she always asks for a doggie bag for leftovers. When her ex-boyfriend chided her habit as "embarrassing," she replied, "What's embarrassing is that I should have so much more than others." Check out the Hungry No More campaign to read about other celebrities who are using their star power to fight hunger.
- 11 Model Diets
- Hugh Jackman Wants You to Give Up a Meal to Help Fight Famine
- 50 Cent Enlists the Help of Celebrity Friends to Help Fight Starvation
- George Clooney and Other Celebs Fight Famine With the Hungry No More Campaign
- Hugh Jackman Creates Charity Coffee Brand
- Vampire Diaries Star and Global Root Holding Dinner Contest for Charity
- US Readies Food Aid For North Korea
- Feeding Our Cities: Where Does Food Come From?
- Devastating Food Shortage Cripples North Korea
- The Jennifer Hawkins Diet