Blog Action Day is an annual event beginning in 2007 where bloggers from around the world write about a single subject. This year's theme is "The Power of We" which explores topics such as equality, freedom, and community. While many people will be discussing non-profit organizations that benefit various societal sectors, I want to highlight the family.
A person's family is their first community, their first organization, their first "we." The power of a home cooked family meal is underestimated by many. Families that cook and eat together receive several hidden benefits. Besides the obvious advantages of saving money and instilling healthy eating habits, having dinner as a family has other, long lasting effects. Research has shown that children will be less likely to try and abuse drugs and alcohol and will achieve higher grades in school. As parents, you are more likely to hear about a serious problem and trust will increase within the familial unit.
Organizing a family dinner can be a daunting task if you are not accustomed to "rallying the troops" everyday. Start by choosing a couple days out of the week that the whole family can commit to eating together. Also, allow everyone to partake in the preparation process (cooking is half the fun). Quality time spent at the table, strengthening family ties, will ultimately lead to a happier and healthier life for all members.
- Blog Action Day: The Power of The Small Farmer
- Blog Crush of The Day: Daily Organized Chaos
- Blog Action Day: Joy, 100,000 Donated Meals, and Sozo Friends Wine
- Blog Action Day: Learn How Agricultural Cooperatives Can Combat Hunger on World Food Day
- Blog Action Day: No More Hungry Children in America
- Blog Crush of the Day: Crazy House
- National Cereal Day: 5 Granola Recipes
- Bento Box Blog Roundup
- Blog Action Day
- Blog Crush: Tidy Mom's Earth Day Cookies
- Simple Overnight Oats
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- One-Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- One Pan Lemon Chicken
- Home Made Fettuccine
- Home Made Stuffed Falafel- فلافل محشيه
- Video: How to Make Italian Coffee at Home
- Bulk Spaghetti Sauce
- A Stalk of Abalone Flower On Mother’s Day!
- Three Ingredient Party Shrimp