Looking for a crowd-pleasing sweet potato recipe for Thanksgiving? Look no further! One of our favorite Foodista contributors - The Kitchen Witch - has created this delicious casserole. Sweet, but not too sweet, the citrus and zest in this recipe help balance the sweetness, and the pecans in the crumble add a lovely nutty flavor.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble Topping
1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
Zest of 1 orange
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup pecan pieces
Pecan halves for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a a large pot, add sweet potatoes and fill with water until the potatoes are just covered. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and gently boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. In a large bowl add: beaten egg, sugar, evaporated milk, orange zest, 3 tablespoons of butter and vanilla.
Add cooked and drained sweet potatoes to the large bowl and break up the sweet potatoes with a wooden spoon or a mixer on low speed. Add the orange juice and mix until combined and potatoes are smooth. Put sweet potato mixture into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
For the crumb topping, mix brown sugar and flour, cut in the 2 tablespoons of butter then stir in the pecan pieces. cover the sweet potato casserole completely with the crumb topping. Decorate with pecan halves if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Easy Entertaining: 3 Must-Try Gluten Free Appetizers
- Must-Try Streusel Pumpkin Pie
- Must-Try Cornbread Sage Stuffing
- 5 Must-Try Gluten Free Wild Rice Dishes
- Puffy Pancakes: A Must-Try Easy Breakfast Recipe
- Must-Try Christmas Recipes From Appetizers to Dinners to Desserts!
- Must-Try Peep S'mores
- A Must-Try Labor Day Weekend BBQ Menu
- Must-Try Samoa Blondies
- 3 Must-Try Chocolate Barks
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble Topping
- Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
- Pear and Apple Crumble
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Pecans and Brown Butter
- Pecan Pie Cake
- Maple Glazed Acorn Squash & Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Pecans
- Apple Pie With Crumble Topping
- Fresh Fruit Pie With Crumble Topping
- Apple Crostata with Oat Crumble Topping
- Toffee With Chocolate and Pecan Topping