Got a bit of the sniffles? Chest congested and your throat hurts? Yup, we can relate. 'Tis the season for all kinds of thing that make us feel miserable. If it's a cold you've got, only over-the-counter stuff and natural or homemade remedies can help with the symptoms. We sip on chicken soup and drink orange juice all day, then at night we cozy up in a warm blanket with a cup of our favorite make-you-feel-good drinks, a hot toddy. It opens up your sinuses, soothes your throat and chest, and helps you get a good night's sleep (but you'll feel worse in the morning if you drink more than one!).
This version was created by mixologist Jamie Boudreau for cocktail class we held years back and it's still one of our favorite concoctions, sick or not. Here's to getting healthy again!
Jamie Boudreau's Hot Toddy
*For those 21 years and older
1 ounce cognac
1 ounce high proof rum
1/2 ounce bourbon
1/2 ounce ginger syrup
1/2 ounce St. Germain
6 dashes Angostura bitters
5 ounces hot water
2 lemon slices
Combine ingredients and stir. Garnish with a slice of lemon.
- 5 Heavenly Hot Toddy Recipes
- Cold and Flu Soother: Ginger, Lime and Honey Tea
- Hot Toddy Redux with SNAP, Roaring Dan's and Royal Rose Syrup Autumn Plum
- 3 Hot Cocktails for Winter's Worst Weather
- An Apple Toddy from Chris Ojeda
- The Triple Axel Hot Toddy is Perfect for Figure Skating Fans
- Cold Weather Cocktail: Maple Whisky Hot Toddy
- Bloody Mary Gazpacho is an Edible Cocktail
- Worst Cocktails Ever
- The BEST New Orleans Milk Punch you have EVER tasted (cocktail hour for Fat Tuesday Cont.)