Rui Macher Kalia (Spicy Rohu Fish Curry)
Rui Mach or Rohu fish is suppose to be one of the regular staple diets of every Bengali household. Rohu is easily available in any Bengali fish market and also it is one of the most affordable fish you can find. There are a number of preparations for rohu such as:
• Rui-er jhal – Rohu extra-spicy curry with thin gravy
• Doi Rui – Rohu in curd gravy. This one is a sweeter variety. My father likes it a lot. You add raisins and cashews in it.
• Rui-er jhol – A simple rohu gravy with veggies like cauliflower and lots of coriander leaves
• Rui Bhaja – Plain fried fish marinated in salt and turmeric (some prefer to add lime juice and red chili powder) and deep fry it in mustard oil. Devour it with rice, daal or khichuri.
• Rui-er Dom – A steamed rohu preparation in mustard, poppy seed and curd paste.
• Rui-er Kalia – A spicy preparation in tomato and onion gravy.
Many other preparations are there. There is no end to it. But for today I have taken up Rui Macher Kalia, rohu in a spicy curry. Yummy….
I must mention that always prepare Bengali fish curry in mustard oil. And fry the fish in mustard oil as well. Otherwise you will not get that true essence.