Sourdough Buttermilk Pancakes From Scratch
Category: Main Dishes | Blog URL: http://branappetit.wordpress.com/2010/02/06/sourdough-saturday/
This recipe was entered in The Foodista Best of Food Blogs Cookbook contest, a compilation of the world’s best food blogs which was published in Fall 2010.
The best batch yet.
Sourdough Buttermilk Pancakes
* 1 cup room temperature sourdough starter
* 2 Tbsp neutral oil (I used canola)
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2 Tbsp brown sugar
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2/3 cup buttermilk
1. Put sourdough starter into a large bowl.
2. Stir in oil with wooden or plastic spoon (no metal!)
3. Beat egg with sugar and add to starter mixture.
4. Stir in flour.
5. Stir in buttermilk until all is combined.
6. Mix baking soda, salt, and a little water and add to the bowl. The mixture should bubble a bit after sitting for a few minutes.
7. Heat cast iron (or nonstick) skillet over medium heat.
8. Cook pancakes until golden brown.
Best served hot with maple syrup, a side of fruit, and lots of coffee.
I’m bringing sourdough back!
Everyone should have some starter in their fridge. It’s so easy and makes THE BEST pancakes. And bread. And biscuits. And chocolate cake.
It’s hard to believe that I never made pancakes before last year. Ever! I never made them on my own before we got married, and even when we made them together, I was never the one actually cooking them.
Thank goodness it’s an easy skill to master