Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
1 box of elbow Macaroni (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste, but any variety)
3- 4 cups of water
A dash of salt
1 cup Daiya style Cheddar Shreds
1 1/2 cup of pureed butternut squash
1 tablespoons vegan butter ( I use Earth Balance)
3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
2 cups light soy milk
A Dash of black Pepper
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
1) Begin by Preheating oven to 350
2) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat, add in elbows and cook until pasta is al dente.
3) While waiting for pasta to cook begin preparing your sauce. In a medium size sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat, add in nutritional yeast and mix together to form a paste
4) Add in soy milk, using a whisk combine together ingredients make sure your sauce is lump free, let simmer for 5 minute or until sauce begins to thicken
5) Add is pureed butternut squash, thoroughly mix together ingredients to ensure everything is well blended (you may notice that the butternut squash also helps to thicken the sauce).
6) Stir in Cheese, let sit for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce has a creamy velvety smooth consistency. Remove Sauce from heat and let sit
7) Drain pasta and add pasta to the cheese sauce, stir together and pour mixture into a greased 9 x 9 baking pan
8) Sprinkle breadcrumbs over macaroni and cheese and let bake for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble
9) Serve Warm and enjoy this creamy Vegan home-style comfort food!
This Recipe is simple and easy to follow, plus the best part is it only takes about 35 minutes to prepare and cook! The macaroni and cheese turned out creamy and cheesy, the perfect special dish for a cold winters night.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011 - 5:39am