General Mills' latest products, which were unveiled Wednesday, overwhelmingly focus on foods stuffed within other foods. Pillsbury Grands Biscuit Sandwiches, for example, are frozen egg-and-sausage breakfast sandwiches, while Betty Crocker Fun da-middles are a cupcake mix that home cooks can use to make chocolate cupcakes injected with white frosting.
Ted Labuza, a food science and engineering professor at the University of Minnesota, calls these items "dual-texture" foods. "For some reason, people like that kind of stuff -- things that are soft with a filling, or crispy with a filling," he told Tom Webb of Pioneer Press. "It's quite a trend among all companies. Even with pet food."
General Mills' latest dual-texture products will run the grocery store gamut, from cereal and snack bars to yogurt and vegetables. The company's chief executive officer Ken Powell said that General Mills would launch almost 70 items during the 2012 fiscal year -- many of them foods stuffed within other foods. Is this a food trend you can get behind?
- General Mills Launches Honey Nut Cheerios "America's Favorite Cereal" Campaign
- General Mills Brings Back Old School Cereals for Halloween
- A Western Dual with Food and Wine
- The Farm Within a Store
- The Corkcicle Chills Wine From Within
- Martha Stewart to Host 2012 Pillsbury Bake-Off
- Wheatless Wednesdays: Gluten-Free General Tso's Chicken
- Betty White Celebrates 90th Birthday with Betty Crocker Cake
- How To Make General Tso Chicken - Video
- Guy Fieri's Meat Variety Pack Available at Costco for a Hefty Price
- General Tso's Chicken
- Ethiopian General Sauce
- General Tsao's Chicken
- General Tao Tofu
- General Tso's Tempeh
- General Tso's Chicken 左宗棠鸡丁
- Betty Crocker Cookies
- The Betty Crocker Project : Vegan Mexi Shells
- The Betty Crocker Project : Key West Fruit Salad
- The Betty Crocker Project : Vegan Stuffed Crust Pizza