Shiga University of Medical Science researchers were recently awarded the Ig Nobel Prize for their wasabi alarm, which releases an odorant made of concentrated wasabi to rouse people from slumber during an emergency like a house fire. Although the smell wouldn't exactly be pleasant, it would at least spare your neighbors from the noise pollution of a traditional smoke alarm.
Other unusual Ig Nobel prize winners included a study on a beetle species that mates with Australian beer bottles and additional research on how the urge to urinate affects individuals' ability to make decisions. Would you install the wasabi alarm in your home?
- Cucumber-Wasabi Soba Noodles with Soy-Sriracha Pork Loin
- Sesame Tofu Burgers with Wakame and Wasabi Mayo
- DIY Tofu Making Kit
- 5 Amazing Asian Soups
- 10 Insane Asian Pizzas
- 5 Odd Emergency Foods for May 21 Doomsday
- Must-Read Blog Posts: Exciting Dishes from the East
- A Guide to Asian Noodles
- 5 Great Green Tea Recipes
- A Twist on Classic Potato Salad