Corn tortillas form the “noodle” layers in this Mexican chicken lasagna recipe. Tucked between each tortilla is a hefty layer of enchilada sauce, shredded cheese, black beans and Mexican seasonings.
5 corn tortillas
4 oz ground chicken
1/3 cup black beans, canned, rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1 jalapenos (use less if you prefer less hot)
1 cup chipotle enchilada sauce, divided
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ( I used reduced fat)
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon red chili powder (skip if you prefer less hot)
1/2 heaping tablespoon taco seasoning
2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon oil (canola or olive)
cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Over medium heat, add oil on a skillet. When heated, brown ground chicken for a few minutes. Add onions and bell pepper. Let them sweat for a couple minutes and add black beans and jalapeño, and stir them together. Continue this for 2-3 minutes.
Add all the spices and 1/4 cup enchilada sauce. Allow it to cook a few minutes, then remove from heat. Let it cool or leave it in the refrigerator for quick chill.
In a baking dish, pour about 2-3 tablespoon enchilada sauce then add one tortilla. Spread 1 tablespoon of sauce over the tortilla then spoon chicken-bean mixture followed by 1 tablespoon of cheese, or more if you like.
Layer it likewise with the remaining tortillas. Just make sure the tortillas are well covered in sauce, otherwise it will be very dry.
Top the last tortilla with remaining sauce and cheese.
Bake, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce bubbles and cheese is melted completely.
- Wheatless Wednesdays: Black Bean and Zucchini Chilaquiles
- Meatless Monday: Poblano, Mango, and Black Bean Quesadillas
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Gluten-Free + Vegan Chipotle and White Bean Burritos
- Meatless Monday: Refried Bean and Avocado Tostadas
- Easy Mexican Cooking: Chicken Quesadillas
- Easy Chicken Taquitos
- Totally Delicious Tortilla Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Homemade Baked Chicken Chimichangas
- Budget Friendly Eats: Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Tortillas With Beef and Mexican Cabbage Salad
- Creamy Chicken, Lime, And White Bean Chili
- Mexican Lasagna with Chicken & Black Bean
- Mexican Black Bean and Spice-Rubbed Tofu Torta with Puerto Rican inspired Tostones
- Black Bean and Fresh Corn Tacos
- Nearly Famous Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Spiced Chicken With Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- Smoky Chicken Tacos
- Carb Heaven Crispy Potato Tacos
- Salsa Chicken & Black Beans