Apparently, it just wasn't that great. Soul Daddy, the winner of NBC's "America's Next Great Restaurant," has closed stores in New York and Los Angeles after just one month in business, Eater reports. During the show, Soul Daddy and its inspirational owner, Jamawn Woods, wowed a panel of judges that included Chipotle founder Steve Ells and celebrity chefs Bobby Flay, Lorena Garcia and Curtis Stone. The prize was three restaurants in New York, Los Angeles and Minneapolis.
Soul Daddy further explained the decision in a statement quoted by Eater, "The realities of running a restaurant are very difficult, more so with multiple locations in multiple cities. After a careful review of the business model and the performance of the restaurants, we have decided that our best opportunity for Soul Daddy’s success is a more focused operation. We have decided to close our restaurant the South Street Seaport in New York, effective today. While it has certainly been a difficult decision, we believe this is the best approach as we work towards ongoing success for Soul Daddy."
The closings leave just one branch open— in Minneapolis at the Mall of America. No comment from the judges about the closings. Here's an interview with Woods shortly after opening the restaurant.
- Soul Daddy, Winner of "America's Next Great Restaurant," Officially Shut Down
- Soul Daddy Coming to Detroit
- Soul Daddy Is America's Next Great Restaurant
- America's Next Top Model Contestants Have a Photo Shoot with a Giant Plate of Salad
- Winner of America's Next Great Restaurant is... (Spoiler)
- Will Run For Chocolate - Hot Chocolate 5k/15k is America's Sweetest Race
- Delta Adds 13 Restaurants to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
- Radical Restaurants: Great Escape
- Morgan Freeman Closes Mississippi Restaurant
- Hotly Anticipated Chicago Restaurant Next Opens
- Chicken Stew For The Soul
- Chicken Soup To Spice Up The Soul
- Soul Satisfying Tomato Bisque
- Warm The Soul :: Chili
- Soul-warming Egg Drop Chicken Soup with Spinach and Lemon
- Close To Restaurant Style Veg Fried Rice!!
- Great Great Grandma Maude's Burnt Sugar Cake
- Elephant Pudding
- Coffee & Banana Pie (Pastel de Cafe y Bananos)
- Hazelnut-mocha sandwich cookies