Apparently, it just wasn't that great. Soul Daddy, the winner of NBC's "America's Next Great Restaurant," has closed stores in New York and Los Angeles after just one month in business, Eater reports. During the show, Soul Daddy and its inspirational owner, Jamawn Woods, wowed a panel of judges that included Chipotle founder Steve Ells and celebrity chefs Bobby Flay, Lorena Garcia and Curtis Stone. The prize was three restaurants in New York, Los Angeles and Minneapolis.
Soul Daddy further explained the decision in a statement quoted by Eater, "The realities of running a restaurant are very difficult, more so with multiple locations in multiple cities. After a careful review of the business model and the performance of the restaurants, we have decided that our best opportunity for Soul Daddy’s success is a more focused operation. We have decided to close our restaurant the South Street Seaport in New York, effective today. While it has certainly been a difficult decision, we believe this is the best approach as we work towards ongoing success for Soul Daddy."
The closings leave just one branch open— in Minneapolis at the Mall of America. No comment from the judges about the closings. Here's an interview with Woods shortly after opening the restaurant.
- Soul Daddy Is America's Next Great Restaurant
- Soul Daddy, Winner of "America's Next Great Restaurant," Officially Shut Down
- Winner of America's Next Great Restaurant is... (Spoiler)
- Soul Daddy Coming to Detroit
- America's Next Top Model Contestants Have a Photo Shoot with a Giant Plate of Salad
- America's 10 Largest Restaurants
- America's Favorite Restaurant Wines
- Urbanspoon Announces America's Favorite Gluten-Free Restaurants
- Urbanspoon Reveals America's Favorite Chinese Restaurants
- America's Biggest Dining Pet Peeves
- Chicken Stew For The Soul
- Chicken Soup To Spice Up The Soul
- Soul Satisfying Tomato Bisque
- Warm The Soul :: Chili
- Soul-warming Egg Drop Chicken Soup with Spinach and Lemon
- Close To Restaurant Style Veg Fried Rice!!
- Great Great Grandma Maude's Burnt Sugar Cake
- Bloody good drink for your next clambake
- Great Ball Of Fire
- Great Northern Bean Stew