January 23, 2012
Banana cream pie is a homey dessert that can be served year round. When the apples have gone, the oranges have withered, and the peaches fallen- you can always count on finding a bunch of inexpensive bananas at the grocery store. This recipe makes every element from scratch (which in my opinion makes for the most delicious desserts). If you are planning to make banana cream pie, there is some patience involved- it needs to cool and set for at least 8 hours. This means you'll have to wake up early if you want to serve it the same day. Banana cream pie is a sweet treat that will bring a smile to anyone's face.
2 ripe bananas, sliced into ½ ” slices, put aside
In a small bowl, mix together;
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
For the Custard:
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
This should be made at least a day before you plan to serve it, so the custard has time to firm up.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
For the Custard: In a bowl, beat egg yolks. Add sugar, cornstarch, salt and stir. Add milk and blend well. Transfer mixture a saucepan over medium heat and stir. After a minute or so, add the butter. Stir until the butter melts and the custard starts to bubble and thicken. Cook for 5 minutes or so, being careful not to over cook (and curdle). Remove the pan from the heat and add vanilla, mixing well.Transfer the custard to a bowl, covering with plastic wrap (to eliminate the chance of a thick skin forming) and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whip together heavy cream, a few splashes of vanilla and a heaping Tbsp of sugar. Beat until it forms stiff peaks. Add the refrigerated custard to half of the whipped cream, beating until well combined. Reserve the other half of the whipped cream in the refrigerator)
Wilton has the coolest decorative baking accouterments. You can buy decorative tips for frosting at your local craft store and pastry bags too. However, a Zip-loc baggie works just fine as well. Using a scissors, snip off a corner of your bag and insert your decorative tip of choice, securing a tight fit. Fill the bag with the reserved whipped cream.
- Banana Cream Pudding Parfaits
- To Die For Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
- Indulgent Almond Joy Cream Pie
- 5 Delicious Pie Recipes for Pi Day
- Lovely Lemon Meringue Pie in a Jar
- 3 Ingredient Banana Pudding
- Rich and Creamy Orange Cheesecake Pie
- Dynamite Banana Foster Bread Pudding
- Dreamy Coconut Cream Pie
- Back to School Banana Pudding
- Going Banana's for Banana Cream Pie
- Easy Breezy Fresh Fruit Pie
- Pineapple Banana & Sour Cream Upside Down Loaf
- Coffee & Banana Pie (Pastel de Cafe y Bananos)
- No-Bake Banana Split Pie
- Apple, cinnamon and walnut rolls + cream cheese crispy rolls!
- Fresh Cherries in Limoncello with Whipped Cream
- Vintage Recipe Project: Strawberry Sponge Pie
- Banana Coconut Cream Pie
- Banana Cream Pie With Chocolate