These pancakes are a twist on the buttermilk pancakes I grew up with as a kid, but in my opinion they taste just as delicious. They are actually eggless and instead incorporate a dollop of sweet potato and a sprinkle of Omega 3 packed chia seeds as a binder (health beauties love these little nuggets of goodness!). After that, the usual suspects of flour (I used a whole wheat pastry flour), milk and a dash of baking soda round out the ingredient list. I love to serve these to my son with a little butter and a drizzle of a good maple syrup. These pancakes also taste great with a few chocolate chips sprinkled on top!
My Little Man’s (Vegan) Pancakes
I recommend frying these pancakes up in a little organic butter and keeping the size petite (1-2 tablesppons of batter per pancake) for a pancake that has a nice crispy edge with a soft, fluffy center.
Serving Size: 2 (250 calories per serving before maple syrup)
1/2 cup cooked sweet potato 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour 1/2 cup almond milk 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 generous tablespoon chia seeds 1 teaspoon sea salt 1 tablespoon butter good maple syrup to serve
Learn more about the better-for-you ingredients in this recipe:
* Sweet potatoes – Brightly colored sweet potatoes are packed with beta-carotene, so they may be helpful for your eyes, help prevent some kinds of cancer, and boost immunity. They also provide a healthy dose of folate and vitamins B6, C, and E.
* Chia seeds – Chia seeds are rich in good-for-you Omega 3 and Omega 6 healthy fats which support a healthy brain and a strong immune system.
Toss sweet potato, almond milk and chia seeds into a Blendtec, or good powerful blender until smooth and creamy. Pour the mixture into a bowl and fold in the flour, baking soda and salt.
Heat up a tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, spoon one to two tablespoons of batter (per pancake) into the skillet. Cook on one side until the pancakes begin to bubble, then flip and cook until just brown. Serve the pancakes on warm plates with a good maple syrup! Enjoy!
- Video of the Day: Man to Man Chipotle Black Bean Stew
- Method Man and Redman Stop Eating Meat
- Must-Try Vegan Recipe: Cauliflower Flatbread with Avocado and Hummus
- Vegan Mississippi Mud Pancakes
- Oreo Cookie Pancakes Turn Breakfast Into Dessert
- The Ultimate Diet Friendly Pizza
- Gluten-Free Empanadas with Mango Salsa
- Jared Leto Offers to Make Vegan Pancakes Live
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways