Beef empanadas are one of Argentina's most treasured foods. Lean ground beef is richly seasoned with chili powder, onion, and diced tomatoes to create the filling. You could also add smoked paprika and cumin to the mixture if you have them available on hand. The filling is spooned onto store bought pie dough and baked in the oven until golden brown and buttery.
This version is served family style with two large empanadas cut into slices. However, if you are serving a crowd during the World Cup finale, you might consider making individual hand pies. To do this, cut the pie dough into 4 inch round circles and place a tablespoon of two of the filling in the center before folding the dough in half. You can either bake or deep fry these pies depending on if you're counting calories.
Recipe Courtesy of Pillsbury
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, well drained
1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz)
1 egg, beaten
Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in chili powder, salt and tomatoes. Remove from heat.
On ungreased large cookie sheet, unroll pie crusts. Spoon about 2 cups beef mixture onto half of each crust, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese.
Brush edge of each crust with beaten egg. Fold untopped half of each crust over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Cut slits in several places in top of each; brush with beaten egg.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.
Editorial Disclosure: Foodista was not paid for this post
- How to Make Classic Beef and Potato Empanadas
- Columbian Christmas Empanadas
- Gluten-Free Empanadas with Mango Salsa
- 3 Decadent Latin Desserts
- Brazilian Acai Bowl
- Sunday Baking: Cinnamon Chocolate Churro Cupcakes
- Mango Upside Down Cake is a Tropical Dessert
- Chia and Acai Bowl with Tropical Fruit
- Crazy Good Chocolate Alfajores
- 5 Authentic Brazilian Recipes to Celebrate Carnaval
- My Picadillo Empanadas
- Beef Empañadas & Romesco Sauce
- Potato, zucchini, red bell pepper, with bacon and herbs baked in a pot.
- Nutella frangipane empanadas
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cups
- Tortillas With Beef and Mexican Cabbage Salad
- Lentil Fritters (Parippu Vada)
- Beefy Beef Mexican Pizza
- Tacos in mini cups
- Brazilian Empanadas