Carrot Oat Muffins!
Category: Desserts & Sweets | Blog URL: http://vanessasvariations.com/2009/12/06/gluten-free-carrot-oat-muffins/
This recipe was entered in The Foodista Best of Food Blogs Cookbook contest, a compilation of the world’s best food blogs which was published in Fall 2010.
Photo: Vanessa Bonnin
Somehow I had the bright idea to buy a huge bag of organic carrots from Costco. I woke up this morning thinking that I better use them before they go really bad (I believe all true food lovers wake up thinking about food.) I had already made carrot soup and a bunch of other soups this week, so I was in the mood for something different. Muffins it was. These muffins came out wonderfully, not too sweet, and the perfect breakfast for a Sunday morning. Since I used oat flour, these muffins also happen to be gluten free as well. Go me!
Here is my recipe for Gluten Free Organic Carrot & Oat Muffins:
Makes about 18 muffins
2 cups of organic whole oat flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl
- 3 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup of agave nectar, I use raw and organic
- 1 cup of organic applesauce
- 1 teaspoon of organic vanilla extract
- 3 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 teaspoons of chopped ginger (I didn’t put this in today, but I think it would be a good addition)
- Combine all wet ingredients in a bowl except carrots and ginger. Mix well. Gently add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just blended. Be careful not to over-mix because this will result in hard muffins! I have learned this the hard way. Pun intended. Once the wet and dry ingredients are blended, gently fold in carrots and ginger until spread throughout.
- Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray and add mixture to 2/3 of the cup. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes until golden brown on top. Let cool in tins for 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve immediately with smart balance or low fat cream cheese for a warm delicious breakfast or afternoon snack! Enjoy!!