I am a sucker for tiny vegetables. I swoon when the adjective "baby" precedes the name of any vegetable at my farmers market. The pictured zucchini are no exception. I love how tender, flavorful, and quick-cooking these zucchini are. Before I started to be a bit more discerning and knowledgeable about produce, and how to cook it, zucchini to me was always watery and bland. This was probably because I was used to eating cooked zucchini that had sat in a steam tray for a cruel amount of time. (Anneka's post about cauliflower brought back similar bad vegetable memories.)
How to cook? I regret not having them raw, maybe thinly slicing them with my mandoline and making them into a salad with a drizzle of oil and simple seasoning. (Next time!) Instead I used my chef knife to cut them into fairly thin pieces, sautéed with olive oil and S&P. Done. I ate about half of them straight out of the pan, alternating bites with a sip of a zippy, vegetable-loving Sauvignon Blanc.
So how would you cook these baby zucchini?
Jameson Fink is a wine buyer at a bustling grocery store in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. He moved to Seattle from Chicago (where he dabbled in the restaurant and wine industries) five years ago to pursue a full-time career in wine. He’d rather be drinking Champagne and eating popcorn right now.
- The Supernatural Hawke's Bay Sauvignon Blanc is a Magical Wine
- Holy Cow, It's A Capitol Milking!
- Meatless Monday Wine Pairing: Vegetarian Burrito
- Faith Hill Doesn't Diet
- Japanese Food Helped Jonah Hill Lose Weight
- Best Ever Gluten Free Zucchini Bread Recipes
- Stuffed Zucchini 5 Ways
- Wheatless Wednesday: Zucchini Crust Pizza
- Raw Pasta Salad with Spiralized Zucchini
- Get Your Just Zucchini Desserts
- Corpse Reviver No. 2 Cocktail
- George Washington Carver Peanut Recipes: No. 1, Peanut Soup
- George Washington Carver Peanut Recipes: No. 2, Peanut Soup Number Two
- George Washington Carver Peanut Recipes: No. 3, Peanut Bisque
- Scarlet Poached Pears
- Strawberry Peach Sangria
- Oak Hill Potatoes
- Hill Country Sausage
- Texas Hill Country Chili
- Fromage Blanc