That's right folks, this year at the Iowa State Fair you can nosh on the usual array of fried fair foods: funnel cakes, deep fried twinkies, fried ice cream and now -- fried butter on a stick. You got it, sticks of butter that have been coated with batter and deep fried until um, delicious. Here's a classic recipe from the one and only butter queen, Paula Deen, if you're interested in this artery clogging snack...
Deep Fried Butter On A Stick
Adapted from Paula Deen
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
Salt and Pepper to taste (1/4 tsp each)
1 cup all (gluten free) purpose flour (or sweet rice flour)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (gluten free) bread crumbs
Lollypop or popsicle sticks.
Cream the butter and cream cheese with the salt and pepper. Scoop with a melon baller onto a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid.
Remove the frozen butter from the freezer, roll in flour, the beaten egg, then bread crumbs. Freeze again until solid.
Preheat oil in a deep, heavy skillet or deep fryer to 350 F. Fry butter balls for 10-15 seconds until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and while still warm, insert popsicle or lollypop stick. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or um, a drizzle of butter.
For more on this heart-stopping fair food read on here.
- Wheatless Wednesday: Fried Green Tomatoes
- Deep Fried Gummy Bears at Oklahoma State Fair
- Fried Butter on a Stick is Latest Fearsome Fair Food
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Gluten Free Frosted Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Thanksgiving Holiday Stuffing - gluten free, vegan
- Leeky Colcannon
- Gluten Free Brisket
- Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Stir Fry
- Millet Stir Fry with Chicken and Vegetables
- Oven Fries