That's right folks, this year at the Iowa State Fair you can nosh on the usual array of fried fair foods: funnel cakes, deep fried twinkies, fried ice cream and now -- fried butter on a stick. You got it, sticks of butter that have been coated with batter and deep fried until um, delicious. Here's a classic recipe from the one and only butter queen, Paula Deen, if you're interested in this artery clogging snack...
Deep Fried Butter On A Stick
Adapted from Paula Deen
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
Salt and Pepper to taste (1/4 tsp each)
1 cup all (gluten free) purpose flour (or sweet rice flour)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup (gluten free) bread crumbs
Lollypop or popsicle sticks.
Cream the butter and cream cheese with the salt and pepper. Scoop with a melon baller onto a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until solid.
Remove the frozen butter from the freezer, roll in flour, the beaten egg, then bread crumbs. Freeze again until solid.
Preheat oil in a deep, heavy skillet or deep fryer to 350 F. Fry butter balls for 10-15 seconds until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, and while still warm, insert popsicle or lollypop stick. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar or um, a drizzle of butter.
For more on this heart-stopping fair food read on here.
- Fried Fair Fare Finalists Announced for 2011 Big Tex Choice Awards: Fried Bubblegum, Walking Taco, Deep Fried Salsa and More
- Fried Butter on a Stick is Latest Fearsome Fair Food
- Fair Fare: 4 Fantastic Funnel Cake Recipes & Photo Tutorial
- Wheatless Wednesday: Fried Green Tomatoes
- DIY Deep Fried Oreos: A Video
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- Deep-Fried Breakfast Cereal Descends on the San Diego County Fair
- 1,500-Calorie Big Kahuna Donut Burger to Hit the New York State Fair
- Fair Food: Deep Fried Cookie Dough
- Gluten-Free Cookbooks
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Stir Fry
- Millet Stir Fry with Chicken and Vegetables
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Gluten Free Zucchini Fries
- Oven Fries
- Gluten Free Angel Food Cake
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes-gluten free, nut free, vegan
- Stuffed Delicata Squash - gluten free, vegan