And this is where your mind just went ASUNDER…. The Asunder Punch.
Citrus is just brilliant at this time of the year. I don’t think in my recent memory anyway that I have seen such a diversity and variety, of not just attractive looking citrus, but tasting as well.
With President’s Day fast approaching tomorrow, I decided to pay homage to the recipe named the Asunder Punch.
Charleston is next week. As a bit of background, I’m going to be judging the Iron Mixology competition at the Charleston Wine and Food Festival. This type of event stimulates not only my taste buds- but it also tempts my sense of adventure. Charleston is part of a wanderlust if you will, via a cocktail or more.
Lucid Absinthe, Honey Tangelo, Cabernet Franc Icewine syrup and and Tuthilltown Manhattan Rye Whiskey. A veritable yellow bee cocktail.
I love the Lucid Absinthe and the power contained within is sometimes difficult to harness in a mixed drink. The 62% ABV is potent and it begs a concentrated reasoning. That whispering in my ear says softly- mix me with Cabernet Franc Icewine syrup. What is Icewine syrup? Ah "leafhopper" - it is a most precious thing.
Imagine the most costly syrup on the planet. One made with frozen grapes. A finite resource that only is available under the most crystalline of days.
It has to be cold- DAMNED cold to make grapes freeze on the vine. Cabernet Franc Icewine is a thing of rare beauty. When combined with the aromatic herbs of Lucid Absinthe and an almost insane portion of Tuthilltown Manhattan Rye Whiskey, that buzzing in your ear is not a late season mosquito. It is your brain, trying to decipher the map.
That map in front of you on the table is trying to teach you something. Pristine ingredients, simply prepared with love. That is the emphasis of these parts- that make up the whole.
In a Zen perspective, you can make nothing of something or vice-versa. It’s simple yet complex, yet simple again. Similar to carrying the bucket of water, up the stairs only to have it dumped out by the master and told to begin anew. Simple cocktails are that master at the top of the stairs. Too much of one ingredient and you have an incongruous mess. This is not desirable.
Your teacher will be unhappy.
You will have gone asunder.
Too little and it fails to whisper the secrets.
I think you will concur.
The Asunder Punch for President's Day ie: Where your mind went asunder
1 Shot Lucid Absinthe Supérieure
2 Tablespoons “All Natural” Ice Syrup of Cabernet Franc (instead of Sweet Vermouth)
1 Honey Tangelo, cut into slices, toasted in a cast iron pan then ¾ of them squeezed into juice, the remainder for garnish
Toast the Honey Tangelo slices and then set aside to cool. Squeeze ¾ of them into juice
To a cocktail shaker add the juice, the two shots of the Manhattan Rye, then the Lucid
Add the Icewine syrup and shake
Strain into a French Café glass and garnish with a hunk of the grilled citrus fruit
The icesyrup is also amazing on vanilla gelato or over French Toast. Even on bacon it's pretty spectacular stuff!
If you want to get some of the Niagra Icewine syrup, may I suggest following on Twitter:
Inventor of Ice Syrup, Vineyard owner, Winery Partner. Lover of food and Wine, love to cook with Ice Syrup.
Niagara on The Lake · http://www.icesyrup.com
- Memphis BBQ and BB Kings, the Blues and some personal history
- Refreshing Cucumber And Green Tea Mojito Recipe
- Mother's Day Brunch Recipe: Crepes Suzette
- 8 Ways To Spice Up Your Homemade Juice Creations
- A Spicy, Zesty Cocktail Recipe To Add Flavor To Your Cinco De Mayo Party
- Jelly Shot Gummy Fish Bowl is a Splashing Party Idea
- Eggnog Marshmallows are a Poisonous Puff
- 5 Must Try No Bake Nectarine Recipes
- Food Channel’s 2011 Top 10 Beverage Trends
- Great New Site For Drink Recommendations
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Spiced and salted buttermilk drink
- Video: How to Make Italian Coffee at Home
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg Salad
- Spicy Chipotle Couscous Salad
- Spicy Chipotle Couscous Salad
- Fresh Tarragon and Lentil Salad
- Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- Apple Spice Cookies; a recipe for comfort when the air turns chilly
- Savory Chicken Meatballs with Penne Pasta