Dieting during the holidays can be rough but these fat-free gingersnap let you enjoy a sweet treat without the guilt. These spicy cookies use apple sauce to replace the fat in this recipe; they remain moist and delicious without the additional calories. Egg yolks are also omitted. The ginger flavor is doubled in these cookies by using ground ginger and candied ginger. Fat-free gingersnaps are one dessert you won't have to feel bad about the next day.
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
¼ cup apple sauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. maple extract
1 Tbsp. chai concentrate (optional)
2 large egg whites
½ cup candied ginger
½ cup granulated sugar (for coating)
1 tsp. cinnamon (for coating)
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, maple extract, chai concentrate. Beat with an electric mixer for about four minutes, until smooth. Add egg whites and beat for another minute until well combined.
Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and beat until completely incorporated. Stir in candied ginger. Chill dough for at least one hour. (I chilled mine overnight)
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
Combine granulated sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop one tablespoon of cookie dough and place in the shallow bowl. Using your hands, coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar and shape into balls.
Place cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet leaving about 3 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
Makes about 20 cookies.
- Frosted Eggnog Spice Bars are a Rum-Filled
- 6 Sweet-Savory Cranberry Apricot Recipes
- Cooking + Drinking - 5 Must Try Gluten Free Brandy Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- Christmas Tree Cupcake Tutorial
- 5 Perfect Pavlova for Gluten Free Holiday Entertaining
- Easy Decorated Holiday Sugar Cookies
- Must-Make 3D Snowmen Cookies
- Personalized Christmas Ornament Cookies
- Happy New Year Cookies Ring in 2012 Right
- Fat Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate-Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
- Christmas Rainbow Cookies
- Apple and Cinnamon Danish Pastry
- Peppermint Brookie Pies - gluten free, dairy free
- Butter Pecan Ice Box Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread
- Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti
- The Ultimate Holiday Cookie
- Ode To A Holiday Cookie