I’ve been finding that a nice hearty squash keeps well for a week or so in my fridge and can be quickly elevated into an awesome dinner with just a few additions. This particular roast acorn squash dish is slightly sweet, thanks to a few blocks of creamy feta, a pinch of allspice (a favorite of mine), cinnamon, a dash of sage and a hint of honey. Though you could easily make it more savory by leaving out the honey and adding in a dash of cumin and a pinch of curry, on this particular night I was craving a bit of sweet. This is one of those meals that I feel good eating – especially when paired with a big vibrant salad like this Raw Curly Kale one.
Sweet Acorn Squash With Spices
Serving Size: 2 (500 calories per serving with honey, 430 without honey)
Sage is a classic accompaniment with acorn squash. If you don’t have fresh sage, feel free to use a pinch of dried sage.
1 medium acorn squash
2 ounces feta cheese, cut into large cubes
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped (optional)
Drizzle of honey (optional)
Learn more about the better-for-you ingredients in this recipe:
Acorn Squash – Winter squash, including Acorn Squash, is a good source of fiber and is especially rich in beta-carotene (which your body automatically converts to vitamin A). Vitamin A helps to support strong, healthy vision and has been identified as a deterrent against age-related macular degeneration.
Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
Slice the squash in half lengthwise through the stem and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Place the squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until fork- tender, about 20 – 30 minutes.
Remove squash from the oven, and top halves with butter, feta, seasonings, almonds and a drizzle of honey. Make sure and enjoy this meal, piping hot!
- 5 Best Gluten Free Acorn Squash Recipes
- Fall Comfort: Acorn Squash with Pistachios, Black Bread and Apples
- 5 Beautiful Butternut Squash Casseroles - Gluten Free
- Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash with Goat Cheese
- 5 Sweet n' Spicy Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Roasted Acorn Squash Gluten-Free Risotto
- Meatless Monday: Roasted Squash and Sweet Potato Flatbread
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Butternut Squash and Lentil Pot Pie
- Gluten Free Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
- Best Ever Cranberry Sauce with Pinot Noir & Hibiscus
- Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed W/spicy Biryani (Veg/vegan)
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Lentils and Apples with Acorn Squash
- Maple & Curry Acorn Squash
- Vegan Acorn Squash Risotto
- Roasted Squash and Chickpea Soup
- Easy Breakfast Cookie
- Acorn Squash With Nutmeg
- Rainy Day Vegan Acorn Squash Chili
- Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash