This butternut squash crumble celebrates sweet butternut squash with a crunchy, crumbly topping made from oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. It’s an unexpected dessert — and I’ve even been tempted to give it a try for breakfast topped with a few juicy raisins.
Butternut Squash Crumble
I’ll often roast the butternut squash one day in advance, and then bake it up the next day with the crumbly topping.
Serving Size: 4 (250 calories each)
1 medium butternut squash (2 1/2 cups, when roasted)
2 heaping tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
4 tablespoons oats
4 tablespoons butter, cut into 12 cubes
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Learn more about the better-for-you ingredients in this recipe:
Butternut Squash – Winter squash, including butternut squash, is a good source of fiber and is especially rich in beta-carotene (which your body automatically converts to vitamin A). Vitamin A helps to support strong, healthy vision and has been identified as a deterrent against age-related macular degeneration. Learn more here.
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
In a small bowl, combine oats, sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly and evenly blended. (This is really important, otherwise clumps of sugar will burn in the oven.) Set aside.
Prepare butternut squash, by slicing in half lengthwise and removing the seeds. Place face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 30-40 minutes. Remove when fork tender.
Allow the squash to cool just a bit, then scoop out each half of the butternut squash into four 7 ounce ramekins. Then fold in 1/2 tablespoon of maple syrup into each bowl. Divide and spread the flour and oat mixture evenly over each portion. Bake for 40 minutes until the crumbly topping is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before digging in! Enjoy!
- 5 Beautiful Butternut Squash Casseroles - Gluten Free
- Healthy Desserts: Banana Coconut Chia Seed Pudding
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Butternut Squash and Lentil Pot Pie
- Decadent Desserts: No Bake Turtle Pumpkin Pie, Gluten Free
- Weird 'n Wheatless Wednesday - Sweet Squash Treats
- GF Buttermilk Butternut Bundt Cake with Spiced Vanilla Glaze
- 5 Bold Gluten Free Butternut Squash Comfort Foods
- Fall Dessert: Graham Cracker Butternut Squash
- Wheatless Wednesday: Fabulous Fruit Crumbles
- Gluten Free Roasted Figs 3 Ways
- Butternut Squash Frittata
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
- Silky Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
- Berry Fruit Crumble
- Mixed Fruit Crumble
- Roasted Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
- No Cream Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with a Kick
- Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Glutenfree butternut squash pistachio bars
- Butternut Squash Tofu Salad With Toasted Hazelnuts