Have you been disappointed by your recent avocado purchase? Frustrated because your recent splurge yielded a brown ugly mess inside? If you've answered yes to both of these questions fear no more. We have a foolproof method that will help you select a perfect avocado every time.
Hass avocados (the most common varietal) ripen after they have been harvested. This means that most avocados available in the supermarket are not ready to eat. Signs of ripeness include skin color and softness.
First, look for an avocado that has a deep purple or dark green almost blackish hue to it. Anything darker usually indicates an overripe avocado so steer clear. You're also looking for a smooth skin, free of bumps or indentations.
These outer cues are helpful but ripeness is ultimately determined by pressure. Place the avocado in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze it. Be careful not to apply too much pressure with your fingertips as this causes bruising. If the avocado yields to gentle pressure, then it's ready to eat. If not, allow it to ripen for another 24-48 hours at room temperature.
When it comes to overripe avocados, take a peak under the stem. If it's brown then you'll want to choose another candidate to take home with you. If it's green, glorious goodness is awaiting inside.
- Avocado and Corn Fritter Burgers and Other Amazing Avocado Recipes
- All About Avocado: How to Choose, Eat, and Grow The Perfect Avocado
- A Lesson in Sushi: How to Make an Avocado Roll
- How to Pick a Sweet and Juicy Watermelon Every Time
- How to Make Gluten-Free Quinoa Tortillas
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Fajita Quesadilla
- How to Make A Classic Margarita
- How-To Recipe: Mexican Flan
- How to Pick and Cut a Fresh Mango
- How to Recipe: Flan
- Tortillas With Beef and Mexican Cabbage Salad
- Video: How to Make Italian Coffee at Home
- Mexican Baked Eggs
- Shrimp and Avocado Appetizers
- Fresh Mediterranean Shrimp and Avocado Pita Pockets
- Salmon Tacos With Avocado Cream
- Black Bean, Salsa and Cheddar Taquitos with an Avocado Dipping Sauce
- Light and Creamy Avocado Buttermilk Dressing
- Black Bean and Fresh Corn Tacos
- Mexican Stuffed Potatoes