Green bean casserole is a must-have side dish at your Thansgiving table. This recipe throws out the frozen beans, canned soup, and tinned crunchy onions and instead makes every part from scratch. Yes, it will be a little extra work on the big day but the taste is well worth the effort. As an additional bonus, this side dish will have less sodium, preservatives, and overall calories than the traditional version. Inject some freshness into your green bean casserole this Thanksgiving with this amazing recipe.
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 medium onion, half diced and other half thinly sliced
8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons dry sherry (a fortified wine)
1 pound fresh green beans (about 4 cups), cut in half
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook green beans in boiling salted water until crisp and tender.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme and pepper. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often to reduce flour lumps. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in sour cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4. Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion to oil and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
4. Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.