"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" It's a question we've asked since the dawn of time. When it comes to breakfast the answer is simple: the egg, and the best ones are those fresh from the farm! As with meat, the flavor of eggs can vary according to the diet of the animal. In spring and summer, farm-raised chickens graze on nourishing grasses, weeds and bugs, resulting in bright yellow-orange yolks and a rich and creamy taste. A good, healthy egg makes a world of difference in a dish where it's the star. Buy yourself a dozen from your local farmer and delight in these dishes from around the globe:
Authentic Huevos Rancheros A classic and simple Mexican breakfast of tortillas smothered in salsa and topped with fried or poached eggs.
Basic Cheese Souffle A soufflé needn't strike fear. The trick to a lofty one: don't over mix and don't slam the oven door!
Spanish Potato Omelette (Tortilla Espanola) Layers of onion, potato and egg are wonderful served either cold or hot. Garnish with a dollop of mayo mixed with smoked paprika!
Classic Quiche Lorraine Mmm...bacon (or ham) and Swiss marry beautifully in this custard-y classic.
Oeufs en Cocotte (Eggs Baked in Cream) A fancy name for a simple dish of eggs baked in cream. Jazz it up with the herb of your choice or top it with Parmesan cheese.
Perfect Scrambled Eggs Try this technique and you will never make scrambled eggs the old way again.
Spinach and Tomato Coddled Eggs An English favorite. This cousin to the Qeufs en Cocotte is boiled instead of baked.
Asparagus Eggs Benedict A twist on a traditional favorite.
Smoked Salmon Frittata A perfect brunch dish. We love to embellish ours with spinach or asparagus!
Mushroom Omelette Julia Child taught me the "shake and swirl" method of omelette making, that and the importance of using a good non-stick pan!
Photo by: stu_spivack
- Easter Brunch Recipe: Eggs with Ham and Asparagus Casserole
- Quick and Easy Andouille Sausage and Potato Hash
- Easter Brunch Recipe: Bacon Pull Apart Bread
- Beautiful Brunch: Italian Sausage and Cheese Frittata
- Back to School Breakfasts Your Kids Will Love
- 5 Fabulous French Toast Recipes
- Quick and Easy Mini Broccoli and Bacon Quiches
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cups
- Easy French Recipe: Oeufs en Cocotte
- Excellent Egg Toast Cups
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg Salad
- Eggs With Ham and Asparagus Casserole
- Mexican Baked Eggs
- Sweet Potato Kimchi Hash Brunch - gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
- Creamy Egg and Vegetable Muffins
- Healthy Eggs Benedict
- Crazy Dutch Babies
- Healthy Low-Fat Cornbread
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Egg In A Mug