Another day, another tained food scandal in Asia. This one, however, comes from a location without any major scandals previously. Taiwan.
Members of the Health Ministry demand the recall of more than a million food and drink items thought to be contaminated with the cancer-causing DEHP. That compound is a plasticizer which was found in Taiwanese fruit jelly, yogurt mix powder, juices and other drinks. The compound was unknowingly introduced into the food products and more than 168 processors were affected by the recall.
The World Health Organization was informed of the cause, in hopes of minimizing international exposure. Some of the affected products were exported overseas.
DEHP can "damage the liver and kidneys, cause female sexual precocity and harm male reproductive capacity."
- 2.3 Tons of Beverages Destroyed on Health Fears in Taiwan
- Barbie Cafe Opens Up in Taiwan
- Former Critic Pat Bruno's Must Read Story
- Limit Red, Processed Meats to Cut Cancer Risks
- Bacon Linked to Pancreatic Cancer Risk
- Coffee Cuts Cancer Risk
- Washington Nationals Rethink Stadium Food
- This is Your Milk on Drugs
- Cans Not Cancer Campaign
- FDA Claims Arsenic Levels in Apple Juice Is Safe