We all know that eating fruits and vegetables is good for us and that we should limit our intake of sugary and high-fat foods. But what exactly are superfoods? Experts are saying these powerful foods can take our health to new heights.
Superfoods are wholesome foods that are nutrient-rich, low in calories and high in antioxidants. Studies now show that these foods can help control blood levels, reduce inflammation and can even help prevent some diseases.
Here's a list of these superfoods and how you can incorporate them into your healthy dietary routine:
Cruciferous Veggies (Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale, collard greens...)
These vitamin-rich, high-fiber vegetables can provide some protection against diseases such as colon and breast cancer.
Tropical Fruits (Mango, papaya, kiwi, pineapple, guava, passion fruit...)
These fruits are high in fiber and phytochemicals (like beta-carotene) and are actually more potent and rich in nutrients that non-tropical fruits. For example, a guava has 5 times the vitamin C than an orange!
This Mango Salsa is excellent on grilled fish!
Bright Fruits and Vegetables (Sweet potatoes, purple potatoes, blueberries, spinach, carrots, red/yellow/orange peppers, beets...)
Foods that are deeply rich in color are high in antioxidants and nutrients. Are you a pepper fan? The red/yellow/orange ones have 10 times the vitamin C than their green sibling!
This Zesty Spinach Salad is packed with superfoods!
Herbs & Spices (Turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, rosemary, cilantro, parsley...)
Many herbs and spices have strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
This Yogurt Herb Sauce is excellent on baked potatoes and grilled meat. It's great with any combination of herbs.
Other superfoods to incorporate into your diet:
Legumes (beans, lentils)
Fatty fish (salmon, mackerel)
- Simon Cowell Hooked on Anti-Aging Smoothie
- Black Chicken - Silkie Superfood + 4 Recipes
- Sweet Candy Surprise
- Perfect Pumpkin Curry Soup
- 5 Herbs to Spice Up Your Medicine Cabinet
- Thrifty Thursday-Lentil Veggie Stew
- Scientist Creates Healthy Ice Cream
- Superfood Salad
- Gwyneth Paltrow is Not Starting 2013 With a Diet
- Raw Chocolate Avocado Mousse
- Healthy and Easy Vegan beets salad with prunes!
- Salmon and Pasta with White Wine Sauce topped with Arugula Salad
- Kale and Chickpea Soup with Lemon
- Healthy Chocolate Macaroons
- Enchilada Chicken
- Pumpkin, celery root and carrot salad
- Chock Full of Antioxidants Trail Mix
- Healthy and Amazing Almond Fudge
- Cappuccino Hot Chocolate with Xocai Healthy Chocolate Sipping Xocolate
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Magic Potion