Sunday dinner couldn't be simpler with tortellini with Portobello cream sauce. Slices of Portobello mushrooms are cooked down until their flavor is intensified. The cooked mushrooms are paired with a light cream sauce and fresh basil. You can use fresh or dried tortellini for this recipe. Serve this pasta dish with plenty of parmesan cheese.
2 - 12oz pkg dried Three Cheese Tortellini, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water
1 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
5 garlic cloves, sliced
5 nice big Portobello mushroom caps, cut in half then sliced
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 pint light cream
a couple handfuls of basil, julienned (sliced)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
salt and pepper
Note on the pasta, I cook the pasta a few minutes short of al dente in the boiling water, drain it and finish it in the sauce. More on that in a minute.
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the butter and oil. Add the shallot and garlic and sauté until just softened. Season with salt and pepper.
Lower heat to medium low. Add in the sliced Portobello mushrooms. I cut them into relatively thick slices and let them cook slowly until most of the moisture is cooked out and the flavor is concentrated. It took about 20 minutes.
Pour the vegetable broth in and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir the light cream and basil in and again simmer for about 8 minutes.
At this point go ahead and toss in the drained tortellini. Cook for a few minutes, until cooked perfectly. If it looks dry go ahead and add some of the reserved pasta water.
Lastly, stir in the mascarpone cheese to add a wonderful creaminess to the pasta. Check for seasoning to see if you need anymore salt and pepper. If you'd like finish off with a sprinkle of freshly grated cheese.
- Sunday Supper: Pasta with Butternut Squash and Bacon
- Sunday Supper: Italian Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 5 Ingredient Pesto Tortellini
- Meatless Monday: Slow Cooker Tortellini and Butternut Squash Soup
- Sunday Supper: Gnocchi with Basil Cream Sauce
- Delicious Deep-Fried Tortellini
- Sunday Suppers: Easy Baked Ziti with Italian Sausage
- Sunday Supper: Kale and Potato Latkes
- Sunday Supper: Easy Penne Pasta Bake
- Quick and Easy Tortellini Salad
- Three-Cheese Tortellini
- Pasta Salad With Zucchini And Summer Squash Recipe
- Greek Tortellini Salad
- Cheese Tortellini With Sausage Ragu
- Tortellini With Arugula & Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Tortellini In Pancetta Cream Sauce
- Tortellini In Brodo
- Long Fusilli With Italian Sausages
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomato Panini
- Super Homemade-y Vegan Lasagna