Enthusiast-at-a-glance: Elise Meyer
Where have I lived or traveled extensively to…
United States • Extensive travel as a single, couple and family all across the USA
• Long-time resident of New York City and Fairfield County, CT. Frequency traveler throughout New England from Maine to New York City
• Editor and writer for Fodor’s Great Drives of the East, specializing in Rhode Island, Cape Cod, Vermont, and Maine Coast.
• Camping, hiking, golf, skiing, Canoeing, Rock Concerts, yoga, and gardening are all reasons for me to hop on a plane, train, car, or scooter….
• Extensive experience with Napa and Sonoma, especially Wine Tourism
Mexico & the Caribbean • Frequent travel to the Caribbean over last 12 years for Fodor’s Caribbean guide
• Significant time spent on most Caribbean islands, particularly St. Martin, St. Barts and Anguilla as contributing editor to Fodor’s In Focus guides
• Wrote and Edited book sections on Villa Rentals, Golf, Taking the Children, Sailboat Charter, and Shopping
• Extensive travel throughout Mexico. Culinary and Archaeological Especially
Europe • Extensive travel and knowledge of Europe including France (especially South of France, Var, Cote d’Azur, Languedoc, especially up on anything art-related), Spain (especially Barcelona and environs including Girona, Beçalu, Figueres, Costa Brava)
• Editor and writer of Fodor’s Italy, especially knowledgeable on art topics in Florence, Rome, Tuscany, and all of Sicily.
• Visited 100 islands in Great Britain in one summer hunting Megaliths all the way up to the Orkney Islands.
• Travel through Europe facilitated by ability to speak multiple languages (French, Italian, Spanish, and German)
• Expert on Jewish Culture, Art, Religion, and History including France, Spain, Italy, Hungary (Budapest, Szeged, Pilsen) Prague. Can consult on Kosher Travel, Synagogues, Genealogy
• Garden-Related travel in England, and Holland (Amsterdam flower markets and Coffee Shops)
• Greece and Greek Islands including peloponnese (Delphi, Olympia, Epidauros, Corinth, Mycenae) Athens, Mykonos, Delos, Rhodes, Crete, Santorini, Patmos
Africa, Middle East, Asia • Significant time spent traveling through Africa (specifically Kenya, Tanzania, including Kilimanjaro and South Africa including Capetown, Wine Route, Garden Route and Kruger)
• Middle East, especially Israel, Tunisia (Sahara), Jordan
• Japan: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Mt. Koyasan, Mt. Fuji
Adventure/sports destinations • Accomplished sports enthusiast (including sailing, golf, skiing, hiking, climbing, yoga) and frequent traveler on sport/adventure trips. I will try anything that doesn’t require jumping out of a plane or wearing of man-made wings of any variety, or going down an icy tube head first.
• Motor Scooter enthusiast
A little about my professional life…
Education grounded in history, art, culture, and mythology • BA in Art History and Romance Languages from Brown University
• Masters & PhD (ABD) in Art History and Semiotics from John Hopkins University
• Participant in scientific archaeological excavations
• Extensive travel following the Ley Lines to amazing Megalithic sites
Passionate about travel, cuisine, gardening, design, and art • Travel editor for Avenue Magazine
• Travel contributor for Fodor’s (including Fodor’s In Focus)
• Gourmet cook
• Food writer and contributor to many periodicals and websites including personal blog, Much Ado About Stuffing (www.elisemeyer.blogspot.com)
• Founder and director of Elise Meyer Gallery, SoHo NYC, 1977-1990
• Accomplished gardener and garden designer, specializing in Organic practices, and container plantings both useful and beautiful.
• Collector and curator of exhibitions of Fine Art, Photography, Ephemera, Modern Design, and more.