These days, I don't think about cheese all that much. At this point, the smell grosses me out and when I do occasionally have a bite, I'm left disappointed. However, the first few months were a different story. So if you are looking to take the plunge into dairy-free living, I recommend being prepared with substitutes! Daiya is the best vegan “cheese” I've ever tried - it really melts and works well for quesadillas, pizza, and grilled cheese cravings. Otherwise, avocado actually has a similar texture to melted cheese! I often use it on sandwiches or in burritos to mimic the creaminess of cheese. Nutritional yeast is also handy to sprinkle on pastas or scrambled tofu or add into chili -- I even add it to my pesto!
Avocado Tomato Sandwich
This is my favorite quick and easy sandwich!
2 slices of fresh Italian bread (The “good stuff” tastes best but, really, any bread will do)
1 Avocado, pitted peeled and sliced
1 Tomato, sliced
Pre-heat oven to 350 F
Layer the avocado and tomato onto bread. Bake for a few minutes until toppings are warm and bread is crispy.
Sprinkle with salt. Enjoy!
Use for dipping or using in gooey quesadillas!
1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
Sprinkle of garlic powder
Chili powder, to taste
1 cup water
2 tbsp vegan butter (like EarthBalance)
1 10-ounce can tomatoes
2 tsp mustard
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir until the sauce thickens, 5-10 minutes.
Optionally substitute salsa for the tomatoes for an extra kick!
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Quick and Easy Gluten Free Queso Blanco Recipes
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Meatless Monday: 3 Simply Sophisticated Soups
- Gluten Free Shepherd's Pie - Dairy Free + GFCF
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Port & Pears
- 3 Must Try 'No Potato' Leek Soup Recipes - Vegan + Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Roasted Figs 3 Ways
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Easy Breakfast Cookie
- Simple and Satisfying: Stuffed Peppers
- Galaxy Nutritional Foods Dairy-Free Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Magic Potion
- Creamy Cashew Garlicky Sage Sauce
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Ffwd: Almond-Orange Tuiles
- Pumpkin Carrot Soup