The New Year's resolutions have begun and for many of us that means eating a more healthful diet. We love this healthy brown rice pilaf from Gourmandelle Lifestyle Blog that's low-fat but doesn't skimp on flavor. This easy recipe is delicious topped with fresh chopped green onions and parsley, or top with your favorite combination of herbs. It's great as a simple dinner with sautéed broccoli or bok choy, or served as a side dish.
Brown Rice Mushroom Pilaf
Submitted to Foodista by Gourmandelle
Makes 4 servings
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup brown rice
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I used small-size champignons; don’t use canned mushrooms because they’re absolutely tasteless.)
1 tbsp unrefined sunflower oil
2 cups water
sea salt, to taste
1/3 tsp ground pepper
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chopped onion and sliced mushrooms for 5 minutes.
Add brown rice and stir to coat in oil.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Let it rest until all liquid is absorbed.
- Healthy Recipe: Easy Thai Style Rice Bowl with Greens
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Brown Rice Bowl with Seared Tofu, Herbs and Avocado Cream
- Easy Vegan Recipe: Roasted Tomato Rasam and Lemon Rice
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Healthy Black Rice, Savory Tofu and Avocado Power Bowl
- Gluten Free Roasted Figs 3 Ways
- Vegetarian Buffalo “Chicken” Spinach Salad with Rice
- Meatless Monday: 3 Simply Sophisticated Soups
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways